Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Blog Challenge #1

In my last post, I said that Suzanne was sponsoring a blog challenge. Today was the first challenge: blog about your favorite wall hanging (family portraits excluded).

First, though, you must sit through a story. Since she excluded family portraits, I had exactly TWO things from which to choose, not that I want it that way. In fact, about 10 weeks ago, when I updated the master bedroom, I had plans of buying some wall art . . . but never got around to it. Now I'm motivated to follow through on that. Thanks, Suzanne. But since I only had two to choose from, this would be EASY! Piece.Of.Cake. I snapped the picture and headed to the computer. My new computer has a card reader slot -- no USB card reader needed, right? WRONG! MY card won't fit. Off to find the card reader. Now guess what. No, really, guess. The reader needs to be installed, so I hunted down the CD, but it wouldn't install. Exasperated, I head over to the Fujifilm website. ARGH! The driver won't work with Windows Vista. Now I need the cord to hook my camera directly to my computer, which prompted an intense search since I have used that cord since I got the camera several years ago. But I found it. Whew! Actually, I didn't find "it;" I found "one." Seriously doubt this is "the" one since it's a strange color. Probably goes with a child's video came something. Whatever. It worked. Now, you've been subjected to this story just so Suzanne will know how much effort I invested to complete her challenge. :-p Why can NOTHING be easy?!


Now, the challenge. . . .
This is a crocheted piece, on the wall in our dining room, above our wedding portrait. My husband used to work for a medical services company, delivering liquid oxygen to homebound patients, one of whom made this piece for him. He and I weren't married then--not even dating--but I love it for two reasons. First, I cannot crochet, and though several have tried to teach me, the creative ability necessary to plan stitch patterns like these boggles my brain. Second, it is a tribute to my husband. She spent a chunk of time on this piece, and to give it away is an amazing act of generosity. Our creative endeavors are more than outlets for our creativity; they are a way to touch those around us. This wasn't a casual gift. She chose Joseph. She saw in him what I see in him -- compassion, kindness and an ability to connect with others -- and this piece reminds me of those endearing qualities.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Snivel! I love your writing Tams, and the crocheted piece is beautiful! How come I never saw that before? Thanks for playing! And sorry for laughing at your computer troubles. Vista stinks!