Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Photo Blog Challenge #4

Suzanne's Blog challenge # 4 is to post a photo you've taken this month and tell us about it in detail. [I'm only 5 challenges behind. Since I'm completing the challenge in February, I'm using a February photo.]


Joseph and I made a commitment to go away for a weekend, as a couple, each year. This year, we went to Asheville, North Carolina to visit the Biltmore Estate. The Biltmore is the county's largest private residence, and opened Christmas Eve 1895.

While there, I took this photo. It's a good example of the intricate carvings found everywhere on the house. The 'G' and 'V' stand for George Vanderbilt. Can you imagine?! I've heard people name their houses -- like "Knots Landing" [remember that show?] or "Southfork." But to put your initials permanently, right into the house's structure. Now THAT'S sure that you're not moving.

An interesting thing about the carvings is that they were done IN PLACE. This insures that they will never fall off the house. But it means that men climbed and used scaffolding to do all the carving.

It was an amazing house -- more interesting than Joseph expected. We had a great trip. I'll share more about it in another post.

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Hmm, never thought about carving our monogram on our house! :-D I'm happy y'all had a great time! :-)

Jayne said...

Beautiful Photo Tams!! Thanks for the story :)