Saturday, November 15, 2008

What Constitutes "Cheating"?

Last night, I ran across this article: Woman Divorces Husband for Cheating in Online Game
I encourage you to go read the article and then come back.

But in case you won't do that, here's a summary: Man and woman meet online and get married in real life. Their online identities get married in a game called Second Life. Then man's online identity has an affair in the game. Woman is upset and is divorcing man in real life.

Does this constitute cheating?

I'm really asking. I know most of you won't post--you'll write me privately like always. :-) That's okay, too. But I'm interested in other people's opinions on this. I have thoughts (you knew I did) about online cheating specifically, as well as about friendships/relationships, and the role the internet can/does/should play in a person's life. I'll post my thoughts in the next day or two, but I invite you to consider these issues, too.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Hmmm - well my first response was "it is just a game" but on closer examination I do feel it is cheating - emotional cheating which is just as bad as any other kind. Worth a divorce? Not sure on that one but a sign that the relationship needs work.