Friday, November 7, 2008

Christian Behavior Toward Elected Officials

I addressed most of this in the previous post, but I have one final thought on how Christians should behave in regard to elected officials.

Since President Bush was elected for a 2nd term, I've heard a good many people say, "He isn't MY President." It's been printed on t'shirts, bumper stickers, and even on coffee mugs. Now I'm hearing some of the same people who were so offended by the comment when it was directed at Bush, saying it about Obama.

It's just not appropriate . . .and it's not TRUE. The President of the United States is elected by the democratic process established by our forefathers. He or she represents the duly elected choice of our country. He or she IS the President of the United States, and therefore, of every citizen of the United States. The only way to make him or her not be your President is to renounce your citizenship and move out of the country.

I'm not suggesting that people leave the country, but I am suggesting that they offer the OFFICE of President the respect it deserves. Some have accused me of feeling this way because the person I supported was elected, but that's not true. A man has been elected who was not my first choice, but Barack Obama will soon be MY President. I felt the same way when Bill Clinton was in office, especially during his Monica Lewinski scandal.

No comments: