Monday, May 19, 2008

Weekend News

Saturday was my father's birthday. Happy Birthday, Dad!!

He is 91 years young now. [We thought he was turning 93, but over the course of the weekend, I saw his birth date on his driver's license. He was born May 17, 1917.] We took him to Ryan's for a celebratory birthday breakfast.

Later in the afteroon, Dad called and wasn't feeling well. He had accidentally returned some recalled medicine to his daily dosage schedule, and was afraid he had overdosed. [His Digitek was recalled because it contained twice the dosage.] He was experiencing heart palpitations which were painful, light-headedness, dizziness, sweating, shaking, and hallucinations. We ended up calling an ambulance and spending the night at the hospital.

However, his digoxin level was not high, but his heartbeat is irregular, his heart rate is low, his blood pressure is high, and his sodium and potassium levels are low. His doctor thinks he may have had a stroke, and this week will consist of neurological and cardiac tests to determine what occurred and how we might keep it from happening again.

I took this picture. It's not very good, but I was using my husband's cell phone. I think I deleted the clearest picture. He would KILL me for posting the picture, so don't tell him. K?

5 comments:

Jayne said...

Hope they are able to find out something and that he is comfortable now!

Suzanne said...

Aww, Tams, sending tons of hugs your way! If he's anything like my FIL, he's enjoying the attention of all the pretty nurses. :-) Let me know if I can do anything!

Colleen said...

Wow 91 years young, how priviledged you are to have that many years with your dad.

Sorry about his health right now but hopefully they can get it under control quickly.

Big hugs

GinniG said...

Sending up prayers for your Dad and your family Tams!!! We're here for you!!!

GinniG said...

Sending up prayers for your Dad, you and your family Tams! We're here for you!!